So, today is Valentines day and i'm coming at it from a different angle. Not because I don't love my boyfriend, but because there's just some days you want to bundle him into a man cave with his friends and close the door. Like when he's hogging the tv to watch football, sprawled across the sofa so you only have a tiny space to perch your little self on and all you want to do is sit down with a cup of coffee and watch the Emmerdale Omnibus.
We've all been there, and although i'm not fortunate enough to have the space in my house to create a room like this (he did suggest taking over my dressing room, but you can imagine how THAT went down) i'm here to help those who do have a spare room, just screaming out for a beer fridge and reclinable chair.
I've done some research to take all the guesswork out of what are 'essentials' for your man cave - things that can keep even the most distractible male occupied for hours. And of course i've included tips on how to make the man cave pretty too - because lets face it, it's still in your home and needs to look fabulous daahhhling.
Essential bits of kit
- Comfy armchairs
- Big TV
- Bar/Drinks Rack/Beer Fridge
- Media Station for DVD player/Games Consoles/Stereo Speakers
- Small Coffee Table for drinks
- Bar Games (Darts, Pool Table, Football Table etc)
- Framed Prints/Stags Head
- Quirky Lighting
- Animal Hide Rug
- Task/Lower Level Lighting
- Wood Panelled Walls
- Tartan/Brick/Map Print Wall Covering
- Greys/Blues/Darker Hues - Man Tones
- Masculine finishes - stainless steel, tan leather, tartan, dark grey hues
2) I'd make a girl cave if I could have a bar like this - check out the low level lighting too!
3) Wood clad walls, using old scaffolding board, pallets or floorboards.
4) The ultimate Game Console haven with old school classics such as the original playstation!
5) Dark hues with matching pool table, low level lighting and framed retro prints.
6) DIY basketball hoop using aged wood to create the backboard which fits in nicely with interior style.
7) Map wall covering, tan leather, industrial style trunk to give masculine edge.
8) How amazing to have your own beer on tap? Alternative would be a regular beer fridge - this is maybe being a bit adventurous!
9) 'L' Shaped sofa to provide maximum seating but also helps to create zones within the space. Complete with coffee table in the centre so those drinks don't end up on the floor!
10) Those comfy armchairs wouldn't be complete without the matching Pouffe to put your trotters up after a hard day at work.
11) Another cheaper alternative to the huge bar above, a DIY crate bar, varnished and displaying fairy lights behind for effect.
Bardem Silver Storage Trunks - £513
4. Charlie Copper Tripod Floor Lamp - £476
5. Brick Wallpaper - Dunelm £9.99 per roll
6. Black Jack Daniels Pool Table - Home Leisure Direct £979