I think most people would agree the kitchen is the heart of the home - a place where the whole family congregates and is the hub of everyday life. Now more than ever, kitchen/diners are becoming the ultimate choice when selecting a modern kitchen design with home owners electing to knock walls through to get a bigger open plan kitchen and dining space.
The next issue, once you have your big space, is what to do with it. With a wealth of kitchen styles available, ranging from luxury and high end to those with a more moderate budget, it can be hard to narrow down your choice. So we've put together a list of 10 different kitchen styles, from modern, sleek and shiny to rustic styles inspired by farmhouse classic. There's quirky ones with pops of colour, then there's mixed materials and textures, with everything in between. We've even suggested some kitchen furniture and products to help you on your way to designing that perfect kitchen you've always wanted!
A beautiful modern kitchen with white gloss units and outlined in a dark wenge wood frame. The island has a solid appearance also being made from the dark wood, which grounds it and makes it the focal piece.
The yellow leather barstools bring a pop of colour to the scheme and stops it from becoming too monotone. The grey funnel pendant lights have been grouped in 3’s and hung over the island, again bringing in the attention to make it the core focal point in the kitchen. Add a few plants around the space to provide little explosions of colour and keep the scheme fresh and bright.
Photo Credit - Earle and Ginger Kitchens
- Grey Funnel Pendant Light - £69.65 from Homary
- Dracaena fragrans Green Jewel Plant - £5.95 from Gardens4you
- Serena Yellow Leather Barstool - £49.99 from Atlantic Shopping
A dark and sultry kitchen with gold highlights to add a level of luxury to the space. The dark wenge base cabinets are paired with a white marble top and white gloss floor to ceiling cabinets at the rear to really open and lift the kitchen area.
The walnut dining table has warm tones which sit well with the shiny gold pendant lights that are hung over the table in a set of 3. The black leather dining chair has walnut legs to tie it in with the dining table while the black leather adds to the luxurious style.
Photo Credit - Kitchen Co-ordination
- Stanley Small Pendant Light - £319 from Original BTC
- Parquet Dining Chair - £179 from Dwell
- Sorrento Large Extending Dining Table - £799 from Furniture Village
Bringing the outdoors to the indoors with huge bi-folding doors which effectively allow you to roll away the back wall of your house to open up the kitchen into the outside space.
The kitchen is full of natural features, starting with the stunning parquet flooring that adds an instant pattern to the space. The brick wall can be created either using brick slips if you don't have an actual brick wall to work with, or for an easier and more cost effective way, use a good quality brick wallpaper. Style it out with stainless steel appliances and quirky accessories such as the Newgate Clock to create a New York Loft style kitchen.
Photo Credit - Concept 8 Architects
- Newgate Metropolitan Black Wall Clock - £225 from Heals
- Brick Print Wallpaper - £10 per roll from Dunelm
- Iron Bar Stool - £94.50 from Exclusive Interiors
A light and natural approach with pastel colours and limed oak/whitewash finishes are what makes this kitchen so spacious and airy. The white walls supply a neutral background allowing the furnishings to lead the way. The pastel green sofa creates a base for brighter cushions with hints of yellow and lilac. The blonde wood has been given a limed oak finish which takes away any harsh colourings and fits in perfectly with the neutral tone.
Photo Credit - Zac & Zac
- Monza 3 Seater Sofa - £689.99 from Sofasworld
- Lilac Cotton Cushion - £10 from Next.co.uk
- Botanical Floral Cushions - £16 from Next.co.uk
- Luca Coffee Table - £69.99 from Wayfair
Why not opt for a kitchen with retro features to make it stand out from the crowd. If you're lucky enough to have the space and creativity you could transform your space into an industrial style kitchen with exposed concrete, brickwork and air ducts. The mix of natural materials with that of the smooth parquet flooring and matte green kitchen work in harmony creating an eclectic look that works.
Add in a retro style brown leather armchair, a classic bubble hanging chair and industrial style black pendant lights to really finish the scheme off.
Photo Credit - Miele UK
- Large Retro Industrial Black Pendant Light - £79 from Industville
- Bubby Hanging Chair - £864.90 from Super Studio
- Ashwell Armchair Brown Leather - £670 from Around The House Furniture
My personal favourite style, industrial with a raw quality to it. The orange and copper hues of exposed brick wall contrast beautifully with the dark wood cabinets. Top this with warm oak worktops and wall cabinet doors and grey painted walls and you have yourself a stunning kitchen. The grey and white floor tiles add a layer of texture with their retro style pattern running over them and add a lot of character to the space.
The stools are made of a mango wood seat and steel legs which works well together to promote the factory vibe that we're aiming for, while the track lighting and hanging pendant provide different levels of lighting in the kitchen.
Photo Credit - P&P Interiors
- Eyeball 3 Bar Spotlights - £23.03 from CPC Farnell
- Brooklyn Dome Pendant Light - £69 from Industville
- Vintage Floor Tiles - £16.50 Per SQM from Crown Tiles
- Welles Bar Stool - £129 from Swoon Editions
A mixture of traditional and modern work well in this kitchen. The white gloss units with strip lighting and mirrored front wall cabinets create an open and spacious look, allowing light to bounce around the kitchen freely. The heavy brass chandeliers add a sense of opulence and traditional styling, which is what sets this kitchen apart from others. The sitting area contains a tan leather sofa which has been aged to give a vintage effect to it. The hints of dark brown wood add warmth and depth to stand out against the white high gloss units.
Photo Credit - The Design Yard
- Langan Chandelier Large With Black Shade E14 40W
- £540 from Around The House Furniture
- White Orchid Phalaenopsis Plants In Glass Footed Bowl - £220 from Bedsite
- Highclere Antique Gold Finish Round Mirror Tray - £84 from Artisanti
- Tivoli Two Seater Sofa - £1139 from Swoon Editions
The pop of red in this Kitchen is bold and separates all the neutral colours to make a design statement. Features like this prove how different you can make a space look by the furniture choices within the space. The white high gloss kitchen provides a simple backdrop and allows the brick wall and industrial style dining table and chairs to become the focal point. Using a dining table such as the Manhattan table looks great when paired with a matching bench on one side and chairs on the other, it breaks up the symmetry you expect to see and is a clever addition. The huge bifold doors and sky lights let in the maximum amount of light, making this kitchen super airy and bright.
Photo Credit - Upsher Harrison
- &Tradition Grey Pendant Lights - £160.19 from DM Lights
- Tolix Red Vintage Dining Chair - £52.90 from Private Floor
- Foundry Rectangular Mindi Wood Dining Table with Steel Frame
- £750 from Around The House Furniture
- Camden Dining Bench Rustic - £225 from Around The House Furniture
A beautiful barn style kitchen with raw wooden beams panelling the walls and floor to create a rustic look. The low hanging pendants over the island and dining table help to zone the space and create separate defined areas. The quirky tractor seat bar stools sit neatly under the overhanging oak worktop and they fit perfectly in the converted barn kitchen. Using stronger colours such as the sea green units inject much needed colour into a otherwise neutral coloured space. The dining table and chairs, again provide a farmhouse style to fit in with the surroundings.
Photo Credit - The Original Floorboard Co
- Apus Pentagon Hanging Pendant Light LED G9 5W 5 - £599 from Around The House Furniture
- Farmhouse Dining Chair - £76 from Woodpecker Interiors
- Betty Dining Table - £599 from Made.com
- Tractor Seat Bar Stool - £95 from Alexander & Pearl
A bright and airy, nautical style kitchen and dining area. Against the white walls sits a grey marble splash back and white marble worktops. The raw wooden cabinets have been given a white washed finish which sit beautifully next to the navy blue cabinets. Accessorise the kitchen with a navy blue retro style sofa and low hanging pendant lights over zones such as the dining table and island. The key here is to mix raw materials that have character with sleek finishes such as the marble splash back to create an eclectic look.
Photo Credit - Blakes London